Sprint 2: Retrospective

It’s time for another sprint retrospective. Last sprint, our team focused on researching needed technologies and structure of our micro-service. This sprint, our team focused on implementation.

We started with deciding coding standards and preparing for the visit with pantry staff. We decided to follow the principles of the first five chapters of Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftmanship by Robert C. Martin. Lucky for me, I was reading these chapters for my software process management class. We also decided our code formatting standards, so collaborative work does not get reformatted constantly. After these issues were completed, it was spring break and I started focusing on solo work.

Last sprint, I learned how to implement and test a Mongo database with a schema defined by the Node.js package called mongoose. With this knowledge, I started implementing our micro-service’s database requirements. I designed a guest schema with all the data fields from the register team. Due to the nature of our update service, our schema does not require any data field except for the guest id. I also added an additional date field for when the update was made that is automatically added. I then wrote tests for checking the schema and the interaction with the database using mocha. At this point I decided to wait for my work to be reviewed by my team and started work on implementing our endpoints.

Our service only needed a few endpoints, a POST for new updates, a GET for obtaining an array of updates from a range of dates, and possibly a DELETE. I managed to get a couple endpoints started before my previous work was reviewed. After the review I had to focus on the guest schema again. While I did not focus on the endpoints after this, I did manage to fix up the incomplete GET endpoint when I had the time.

My focus for the rest of the sprint was getting the schema work ready to be merged. The review process was much longer than I had anticipated. With my merge requested branch bringing a lot of changes, the issues I needed to fix were diverse and plentiful. The issues ranged from simple oversights, to writing documentation. At this point, the schema branch has been through many changes and is nearly completed.

The rest of the work I did was reviewing my team’s work and familiarizing myself with it. The rest of my team worked on the front-end, implementing our UI and how to test it. At this point, our team has the UI design completed or nearly so.

Overall, I feel good about the work that was completed even though it took longer than expected. I think we have improved our teamwork since last sprint. The main lesson to learn from this sprint for me was to expect a lot of editing and to assume issues will take longer than I initially guess. Something we could improve on is the scope of our issues. Many of our issues could have been broken down into smaller issues that would be quicker to complete. After last sprint, we gave a work-in-progress limit to our review column to try and force reviews, but it ended up getting clogged by wide scope issues with a lot of work to review. I believe our team will be able to continue work on our micro-service and hopefully be able to have some functional software after next sprint.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: