Retrospective 3

It’s time for this project’s last sprint retrospective. At the end of the last sprint, I had started implementing our needed endpoints for our API and had rough versions working. So, my first focus for this sprint was getting the API working [link]. Our definition of done requires testing for an issue to be considered done. Thus, I made learning how to automate tests for the API a priority [link]. I ended up finding automated testing through Postman and it’s CLI. Using the Postman IDE, I started writing tests for our endpoints [link] and this allowed me to become better acquainted with how endpoints should behave. Postman’s built in test system made creating the tests relatively simple, as it supplies common test code snippets to use. The tests I wrote check for correct response status, response time to be under 200 milliseconds, request has content type header, and returned data. At this point, the work on the backend was nearly done and was awaiting review.

While the API server was under review, I started working on learning Docker. [link] Since I had worked mostly on the backend, I started with getting the server containerized. Once I had the dockerfile written for the server, I then had to figure out how to use docker-compose to link the database and server in containers. [link] Then I started to split my attention between fixing up the server, writing docker configuration for the backend, and reviewing work.

Most of the backend work was writing up documentation. Our team had a dockerfile written for our frontend, so I started writing a compose file for the entire module. This worked well except I could not figure out how to obtain the backend container IP for the frontend. I have since found it has something to do with the nginx proxy we used in our frontend dockerfile.

Once the planned work for the backend was done, I had some time to address the additional requested endpoints from another team. [link] After completing the endpoints, I reviewed work and assisted where I could. The final issue I worked on was implementing the endpoints in the frontend. [link] This was a last-minute scramble that started a day before review. Thankfully, the entire team came together, and we were able to get the reactive forms implemented and connect their data with the endpoint call before the review.

When this sprint was first being started, our team had a heavy workload if we were to finish everything we had planned. Considering this and the additional unplanned work, our team performed quite well. We communicated better and more often. Our individual work had started to heavily overlap each other’s. I believe this led to increased team cohesion. I, however, had a minor problem with our backend endpoints issue. Since our definition of done required testing, this issue required two other issues to be completed before or with it that had not been started. This only affected my estimation of work-to-time ratio, and I do not believe it added extra work. Overall, I am quite satisfied with my team’s accomplishments and all we were able to complete.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: